For some reason, I am very concerned about my plants getting cold in the winter. I don't know if it's because their pots (old candle jars) feel cold to the touch or because a few years ago I accidentally killed all my plants when I opened the window next to them in the middle of winter. To be fair, I also didn't like looking through the clear glass of the old candle jars and just seeing the soil. Regardless, it makes me sad to think my plants go cold in the winter. Realistically, I'm sure these sweaters don't actually do much to keep my plants warm, but it makes me feel better.
I initially started knitting these last year when I bought my first set of double pointed needles. I thought this would be a good way to practice with them. I figured if they turned out bad, I was the only one who would ever see them. It took me a while to decide on a pattern for these. First of all, I needed something that would look okay in the round. This pattern isn't the best for that as it does create a seam where it is joined in the round. I really liked the look of the finished pattern as it wasn't too intricate and I didn't get bored with it quickly, so I figured I could just hide the seam and no one would be the wiser.
I also liked how customizable this pattern is. Because the pattern is a four row repeat that can easily be ended after row two and can be cast on in multiples of two stitches, this pattern is easy to manipulate to fit any size pot/candle jar. The stitch is officially called the fake honeycomb stitch, but, to me, it reminds me more of a banner or ribbon that is strung across a banister or something.
This pattern is also great for scrap yarn. Depending on the size of the jar, it may only take a couple of yards of yarn. In choosing my yarn colors, I chose balls from my stash that I had quite a bit of for the sole purpose of my large succulent collection. I knew I was going to make quite a few plant sweaters, so I wanted to be sure I had plenty of yarn. I stretched that even further by choosing three complimentary colors. I figured this would also look nice when they are on display. I used worsted weight yarn because it is great for small and larger pots. Bulkier yarn would have been overhwhelming for the smaller pots, and thinner yarn would have been underwhelming for the larger pots.
(4) US 9/5.5 mm double-pointed needles
any worsted weight yarn, yardage depends on size of pot
7.5 sts x 14 rows = 2"
swatch flat in pattern (see below for abbreviations):
Row 1: knit all
Row 2: *K1, SL1K*
Row 3: knit all
Row 4: *SL1K, K1*
K = Knit
P = Purl
*...* = repeat pattern between the two "*"
SL1P = slip one stitch purlwise
K2TOG = knit two stitches together
SL1K = slip one stitch knitwise
*this pattern is written for my larger candle/pot which is from Wal-mart, however it is very customizable, just take a few measurements and use your gauge swatch as a guide
Cast-on 48 stitches (or a multiple of 2)
Row 1: knit all
Row 2: *P1, SL1P*
Row 3: knit all
Row 4: *SL1P, P1*
Repeat Rows 1-4 until work is the same length as the pot (in my case, this was about 3.5 inches)
You can stop here, or you can do the decreases so that there is a bottom.
Row 1: purl all
Row 2: knit all
Row 3: *K2, K2TOG*
Row 4: knit all
Row5: *K1, K2TOG*
Row 6: knit all
Row 7: *K2TOG*
Row 8: knit all
Cut the string and pull through remaining stitches. Weave in ends.
Slip your sweater onto your plant and sleep easy knowing it'll be nice and warm all winter! If y ou knit any plant sweaters, be sure to post some pictures on instagram and tag me (@knitting_with_sara), so I can see them!
Post a Comment